Thursday, June 28, 2012

[Interview with Ingrid from Wood & Wool Stool]


1. Please tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm Ingrid, mother of son Minne and daughter Pippa and married to Henk.
Besides my family life I work 3 days a week in the coolest place in the Netherlands Villa Augustus, where I have my weekly 'flowerday' on Thursday. I like photography and find blogging a great way to capture my life.


2.  What inspired you to make your very first wood & wool stool and how did you decide to make it into a business?

In 2008 I designed my first recycled wooden stool with a crocheted cover for my home.
It turned out very well and the invention of a crochet cover on the seat turned out very well.
After some requests of family and friends, I decided to make custommade stools for other people and that is how it all started.
Since then I've made a lot of stools and designed meanwhile several other interior products.

The products are all handmade and have something to do with (recycled) wood, wool, crochet and color.


3.  What is your typical day like?

No day is the same, but I always start with coffee and a little tour along the web. I work different days and hours at Villa Augustus.


4. What inspires your creativity?

Traveling and my workplace at Villa Augustus, but also international Interior magazines and the internet.


5.  What is the best part of owning your own handicraft business?

I like what I make and because I don't have an actual shop, but only sell through internet, I can work whenever I want.
Most of the orders of my handmade stools are from people all over the world. It's so cool that (almost) everyone sends me a happy thank you e-mail when their stool arrived.


6.  What is your least favorite part about your work?

Definitely the packing and shipping.


7.  Do you have any tips for someone who wants to sell their own handicrafts?

Only make things you like yourself and stick to your style.


8.  Whose work do you admire?

I'm a big fan of Piet Hein Eek since he started making furniture.



9. What is the best place you have traveled to? Why?

Spain. During the years we've been in all kind of districts and I like them all. I like the versatility of the country and the wonderful cities like Sevilla, Madrid, Valencia, San Sebastian, Salamanca and most of all Barcelona.



10. Do you like to read? Any favorite/must-read books?

I love to read and I would love to read more if I only had more time.
Now on my bedside table: Bonita Avenue by Peter Buwalda.


Thank you so much Ingrid for taking the time to do this interview! 

Here are the links to Ingrid's blog & Etsy Shop & Flickr page:

No comments:

Post a Comment